Secure Client for Online Assessment and Exam Delivery
When you are delivering high-stakes tests and exams online, you need far more security than a web browser can provide. The Secure Client is a lock-down browser designed to help organizations provide a secure environment that can deliver high stake assessments such as tests and exams.
1. When candidates use the Secure Client, they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL or access other applications. When an assessment is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading.
2. Delivering assessments via Secure Client can help significantly reduce the risk of cheating when deployed along with other defences to combat impersonation and content theft.
- Assessments are displayed in full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Assessments cannot be exited until submitted by the users for grading
- Task switching or access to other applications is prevented
- Print, Print Screen and Capturing functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to and from an assessment is prohibited
- Screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machine and network monitoring applications are blocked
- Right-click menu options and function keys are disabled
- Browser menu and toolbar options are disabled, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop buttons. It also disables the ability to start new applications
Components of the System Architecture
The illustration below shows two internal components which the Secure Client consists of - the Kiosk Application and the Browser Part. The third part of a Secure Client Exam Environment is built into the supported LMS. Optionally one or several third party application(s) can be allowed to run during an exam. These applications are started by the Secure Client Kiosk Application.
1. The kiosk application locks down the computer and starts the Secure Client Browser and an optional third party application. Since this application has to control miscellaneous OS functions, it is designed very system specific.
2. The Secure Client Browser connects with the pre-set URL of the LMS exam page and doesn't show any navigation elements like address bar, search engine field etc. The Windows version of the Secure Client uses the Mozilla Gecko Browser Engine in the form of the Portable Firefox.
3.Some assessments might require access to functions that the Secure Client will limit by default. We can create custom versions of the Secure Client for enterprise subscription to meet their assessment requirements.
- Secure Client System Requirements
- Operating Systems: Windows 8, 7, Vista or XP
- Memory: 512 MB RAM
- Hard Disk Space: 100 MB of free hard disk space
- File Size: Approximately 30 MB.